Friday, January 18, 2013

Enjoying Oslo in summer

Oslo is great to visit in the summer. I live in New York, but always make it a point to visit some of my friends living in Oslo once every year. I have loved being in Oslo, particularly in the summer, as it is fascinating indeed. The summer in Oslo gives you a completely out-of-the- world experience. Last year, I again visited my friends here and had good times. I succeeded in get the best flight deals and made Icelandair flight reservations from New York JFK. I was longing to meet my friends and the day had finally arrived to board Icelandair flights to Oslo from New York’s John F. Kennedy International Airport. It was a grueling journey indeed as my flight took 9 hours to reach Oslo after a brief 50 minute stopover in Reykjavik.
 My friends were anxiously waiting for my arrival and were visibly pleased as I came out of the airport. They then took me to their home. My friends are musicians and are in a band called Gazpacho. I have a gala time throughout my stay here. Even my friends eagerly look forward to my visit as it feels like a little vacation. I simply cannot forget those exciting times here. It’s a true boy’s night out for us. The thrills of listening to some good music, barbecuing sausages, washing them down with cold beer, and talking about life, the universe and everything.

Summertime is incredible in Oslo. Though you won’t be able to experience the midnight sun, but it doesn’t really get dark either. I saw the sun just dipping behind the mountains at around 2 in the morning, only to reappear again at almost the same spot a couple of hours later. This happened only once during my stay. However, summer days are usually long and the sun sets around 10 pm in the evening.
You get plenty of scope for outdoor activities in summer with Oslo’s unique location between the fjord and the forest. I found many Oslo citizens summer to the hilt with a number of activities on the fjord and in the parks. The fjord in Oslo is the most popular recreation area for relaxing on one of the many beaches, swimming, sailing and fishing. To get a feel of the summer life of Oslo even more, hop on to a cruise on the Oslo Fjord for a short 50 minute trip. You may also consider taking a sunset cruise including a large Norwegian prawn buffet for a more complete summer experience here. A summer evening on the fjord can simply not be missed in any case. It’s simply awesome. My 15-day stay with my friends has now ended. I will look forward to visit them again to enjoy Oslo summer to the fullest.